Simulation/ Thermal Testing:
Everyone is interested in improving energy efficiency! One of the easiest ways for consumers and industry professionals to make a difference is by choosing products that perform without sacrificing comfort or value. Simulation and Thermal Performance testing is an important early step in ensuring an accurate side-by-side comparison of energy efficient products.
NFRC created a system for uniformly assigning energy performance ratings based upon a product’s specific physical characteristics. The process employs computer software to determine product heat transfer. From this modeling comes the U-Factor (U-value), the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), Visible Light Transmittance (VT), and Condensation Resistance (CR). These modeled values are then verified with the actual heat transfer measurements of a representative sample of the entire product line, commonly referred to as Thermal Validation Testing.
Below are the specific NFRC size requirements which differ from AAMA structural test sizes (air, water, loads testing).
|Operator Type||NFRC Sizes|
|Casement - Single||24x59|
|Projecting - Awning/ Single||59x24|
|Skylight/ Roof Window||47x47|
|Sliding Patio Door||79x79|
|Swinging Door||37-3/4x82-3/8 or 75-1/2x82-3/8|
|Vertical Slider - SH/DH||47x59|
Benefits of Simulation/ Thermal Testing:
- Money Savings- Testing sample vs. entire product line
- Fair product comparisons
- Dramatic improvement over default table values
- Performance standards compliance – Energy Star, Tax Credits, etc.
- Easier code enforcement – Labels quickly confirm compliance
- Ensures consistent product quality
- Highlight new technology & refinement
- Display a product’s energy benefits
- Accurate, unbiased results
- Streamlined research & development process
- Uniform code compliance requirements
- Informed product selection